Admissions - First Years 2021-2022
Transition from Primary to Secondary School
The transition from primary to secondary school is a very important stage in a young person’s education and at Killarney Community College we want to ensure that this process is informative, supportive and as smooth as possible for our incoming students and their parents.
Smooth transition from Primary to Secondary School is vital for the well being of every student. The College places great emphasis on this process. The following are the key steps in our transition programme:
- Open Evening/Virtual College Experience (October)
- Entrance Assessment (Spring)
- Induction Morning (May)
- Orientation Day (September)
- Parents Meeting (September)
- Four week Induction Programme in SPHE class, helping students settle in (Term 1)
- Home School Community Liaison teacher visits every home (Term 1)
The Guidance Counsellor, Year Head and Tutor help to create a comprehensive support team for the First Year Students. The Guidance Counsellor meets with all first year groups to build a strong relationship with the students to support them on their journey through the College.