The Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme is designed to foster in young people a spirit of enterprise, adaptability and initiative, developing their communicative, interpersonal, vocational and technological skills.
Throughout the programme students are encouraged to:
- Be innovative and enterprising
- Take responsibility for their own learning
- Adapt to changing circumstances
- Evaluate data and devise solutions to problems
- Communicate their thoughts and ideas effectively
- Work with others as part of a team
- Investigate and plan career options
- Use information and communications technologies
- Investigate local businesses and community enterprises
- Learn from their experiences
These skills and qualities are equally relevant to the needs of those preparing for further education, seeking employment or planning to start their own business.
- Link Module I – Preparation for the World of Work
Students will research and investigate local employment opportunities, develop job seeking skills such as letter writing, CV presentation, interview techniques; gain valuable practical experience of the world of work; interview and work shadow a person in a career area that interests them Work Experience: For one week during fifth year LCVP students complete a work placement in an area of their choice. This helps to prepare them for the world of work and helps them to decide on their future careers.
- Link Module II – Enterprise Education
Students will be involved in organising visits to local business and community enterprises; meet and interview enterprising people on site and in the classroom; plan and undertake interesting activities that will build self–confidence, creativity, initiative and develop teamwork, communication and computer skills.
Typical LCVP Students
- Typically, LCVP students take seven Leaving Certificate Subjects plus the Link Modules
LINK MODULES - PORTFOLIO OF COURSEWORK
- Curriculum Vitae
- Career Investigation
- Enterprise/Action Plan
- Summary Report
OPTIONAL ITEMS (any two)
- Diary of Work Experience
- Enterprise Report
- Recorded Interview/Presentation
- Report on My Own Place
LCVP students receive the same certificate as other Leaving Certificate students but their Certificate includes an additional statement of the results of the Link Modules.
Grades for the Link Modules are as follows:
- Grade | Per cent
- Distinction | 80% – 100%
- Merit | 65% – 79%
- Pass | 50% – 64%
The Link Modules are recognised for points purposes by the Institutes of Technology and the Universities. The points are allocated as follows:
- Grade | Universities and Institutes of Technology Award
- Distinction | 66 points
- Merit | 46 points
- Pass | 28 points